So far:
A lot has happened so far, so for now (I don't know how long Pete wants to stay at the library) I will just give backround.
My flights were good--got in in the evening on Sat. Sunday morning 4am got up to go do my first day. Drove to Crane Naval Weapons Storage with Pete and Ken to the day's site. Ended mist-netting around noon. Then in the afternoon I studied up on eastern birds, banding practices, etc. Went to bed at 9pm (late!). 8pm is better. Repeat times 3. (More on banding experiences later.)
The accomodations are nice! (For field work) A moble home--two good sized bedrooms, livingroom, kitchen, two bathrooms--all decked out in that brown 70's look (fake wood paneling everywhere). But not too shabby. Here I was preparing to rough it, when there is satelite dish TV, a VCR, showers, and a sound system and tons of CDs (courtesy of Pete). Wow! The kitchen has a freezer/frig, oven, stove, but the microwave is one of the orginals--the old dial kind. I'm sure it's leaking rays everywhere; I leave the room when I turn it on. And is sounds like popcorn is popping--thats the noise it makes. (!) Scary.
Ken (the biologist) picked me up in Bloomington Sat and helped out banding the first two days. He's cool. He works for ENature (www.enature.com)--he's the wildlife biologist who answers questions people send in for everything but birds (someone else has that job). So go write him a question about a bee or lizard or squirrel you see. :)
My partner Pete is cool. He's really nice--I can borrow just about anything of his. He drove from Michagan, so he brought his laptop (no internet), stereo, and drum set. I could even learn to play the drums on this trip.
Recent bandings (last three days):
worm-eating warbler
common grackle
Kentucky warbler
Black and white warbler
Indigo bunting
Downey woodpecker
Lousiana Waterthrush
Wood Thrush
Acadian Flycatcher
Blue-winged warbler
Interesting spp recently seen:
Carolina wren
Yellow warbler
Pileated woodpecker
belted kingfisher
turtle (what spp?)
juvenal barred owl (landed in the middle of the road!)
smooth or rough green snake
the really red dear they have out here (not like the mule deer at home)
rabbits
tadpoles and frog
flock of ruffed grouse
wild turkey
Time to go order some CDs off Amazon....:)
9 Comments:
Not fair. The drums are *my* destiny. But it would be good if you could get us in with some cool drummer guys.
8 pm? Wow. I don't think I could even if I tried. Of course, you probably also get up insanely early.
What's "mist netting?"
Ooh, satelite dish, does that mean you can watch TDS? (It comes on again at either 6 or 7 pm, I think it's 7 pm).
spp? YOu'll need to have a running glossary for us non-bird folks ;)
Schwim (i.e. jardia) told me to today that he got you a bird whistle (and he showed it to me) and got you contacts at some national bird society thing where he met people. Anyway, that may be a way to get your next job. He was stunned to hear that you had one already and were in Iowa. He also said I should go easy on the bet penalty and waive it. I intend to do no such thing. >:) Muffins are soft. Scones are hard. But both are filled with berries.
I meant Indiana.
A bird whistle...? Okay. I have a lot of contacts already, but thanks. If all goes well and I am able to visit Arun like planned (ie no weather delays) I will be able to start applying to jobs again. :) That will be most useful.
I need to come up with a vocab list on the side for non-bio people. :)
"spp" = species
Mist-netting: the placement of large nets (2 m high by 12 m long) with a fine mesh weave (about 1 cm) in strategic locations in order to catch birds. Usually there are 10 nets set up in a designated area. We check them every half hour, and take out any birds and process them and let them go. Processing consists of banding and taking various measurements and data. We call them "net runs" when we go collect birds.
What's TDS? I have only watched the weather channel. Although Pete has the news on almost every day.
Pete is cool. He used to be in a band in MI--he's good (as in it is very cool to hear him practice). He only practices some of the time--I keep telling him he can practice more if he wants. It's pretty loud in the apt--I usually just listen from outside. (He brought his full set from Michigan!) Ken drums too. He has a bongo set which he keeps at the trailer, but he plays Pete's set too, and talks of joining a steel drum band if he moves to Southern CA. I wish I was cool and played an instrument! Alas, my piano is just not up to snuff, and I need voice lessons before I sing anywhere but in the car. :p
Hmmm... Is Pete cute?
Post a Comment
<< Home