October field work position!
(This will read very similarly to the email I sent out, with a few minor changes. New info will be posted as it trickles in.)
I have another bird field work position for the fall!
I learned of it through my MAPS position this
summer--it is also through the Institute of Bird
Populations. The program is called
"MAWS"--Monitoring Avian Winter Survivorship. http://www.birdpop.org/Interns/mawsint0405.htm
Target bird species are over-wintering sparrows,
as opposed to the migratory warblers over the summer. It's much like
the banding internship this summer: free housing,
working with a partner setting up mistnets, banding
birds and doing vegetation analysis, with a biologist
around about half the time. The major differences are
the weather will be colder and rainier, I'll getting
paid less for more work, and I'll be at military bases
in either Arkansas, Georgia, or North Carolina. It's
starting Oct 12 and ends March 22, with ~two weeks off
Dec 23-Jan 4. Unfortunately, I won't find out what
location I will be at permanently until after training
(which is in AR Oct 12-23), when they will try to give
us one of our top preferences of location and who we
want to work with. I'm aiming for NC, since my cousin
Aaron lives in Raleigh and my cousin Alice lives in
Virgina. Otherwise, Arkansas sounds better to
me than GA, from looking at the military base descriptions,
although I've never been to AR or GA, so I have nothing to base it on.
Anyone been to Arkasas or Georgia? What's it like?
1 Comments:
Congratulations on getting another birding job! I'm so happy for you!
Post a Comment
<< Home